View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inune
Captured
Private

re: Chimera shot, SS rolling, and AP buffs.

After Juni and I had a difference of opinion last Saturday over whether or not Chimera-refreshed Serpent Stings carried through AP buffs, I decided some hard evidence was required. It's well known that a chimera-refreshed serpent sting rolls over %crit and %damage buffs even after the buffs themselves have expired from your character, but we could not come to a consensus as to whether or not this behavior applied to other buffs (AP, Agi, etc.) as well.

So, I headed out to the local Thunder Bluff target dummy to try it out. I stripped all my gear sans my Felglacier Bolter, a Mark of Supremacy (on-use AP proc), and an event dress so people wouldn't wonder why there was a naked troll shooting a target dummy.

I recorded Serpent Sting damage under the following conditions:
Control (no additional buffs)
AP proc 1 (Proc is active on my character)
AP proc 2 (Proc is not active, but was active when I refreshed with Chimera)
AP proc 3 (Proc active on initial use of Serpent Sting, but not active when data was recorded, nor while refreshing with Chimera)

Condition------------------Average Serpent Sting Tick
Control---------------------------------------357
AP proc 1------------------------------------410
AP proc 2------------------------------------410
AP proc 3------------------------------------357
N=10 for all conditions

I considered running a Z-test for significance, but I don't think that's really necessary as the behavior is fairly obvious. The conclusions are as follows:

-If a Serpent Sting is applied with an AP buff active on the hunter, the Serpent Sting damage will factor the AP buff in.
-If a Serpent Sting is refreshed with Chimera Shot while an AP buff is active, Serpent Sting will continue to factor in the AP buff for its refreshed duration.
-If, however, an AP-proc-buffed Serpent Sting is refreshed by Chimera Shot without the AP proc being active on the hunter, the newly refreshed Serpent Sting will drop its dependence on the AP-proc.

In other words, Chimera itself does not roll over AP-proc-induced damage in Serpent Sting like it does with %damage buffs (ala Tricks, Culling the Herd, and Exploit Weakness).

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
-Aristotle
Tanzy(ODH)
Bishop
Sergeant

re: Re: Chimera shot, SS rolling, and AP buffs.

Inune wrote:
After Juni and I had a difference of opinion last Saturday over whether or not Chimera-refreshed Serpent Stings carried through AP buffs, I decided some hard evidence was required. It's well known that a chimera-refreshed serpent sting rolls over %crit and %damage buffs even after the buffs themselves have expired from your character, but we could not come to a consensus as to whether or not this behavior applied to other buffs (AP, Agi, etc.) as well.

So, I headed out to the local Thunder Bluff target dummy to try it out. I stripped all my gear sans my Felglacier Bolter, a Mark of Supremacy (on-use AP proc), and an event dress so people wouldn't wonder why there was a naked troll shooting a target dummy.

I recorded Serpent Sting damage under the following conditions:
Control (no additional buffs)
AP proc 1 (Proc is active on my character)
AP proc 2 (Proc is not active, but was active when I refreshed with Chimera)
AP proc 3 (Proc active on initial use of Serpent Sting, but not active when data was recorded, nor while refreshing with Chimera)

Condition------------------Average Serpent Sting Tick
Control---------------------------------------357
AP proc 1------------------------------------410
AP proc 2------------------------------------410
AP proc 3------------------------------------357
N=10 for all conditions

I considered running a Z-test for significance, but I don't think that's really necessary as the behavior is fairly obvious. The conclusions are as follows:

-If a Serpent Sting is applied with an AP buff active on the hunter, the Serpent Sting damage will factor the AP buff in.
-If a Serpent Sting is refreshed with Chimera Shot while an AP buff is active, Serpent Sting will continue to factor in the AP buff for its refreshed duration.
-If, however, an AP-proc-buffed Serpent Sting is refreshed by Chimera Shot without the AP proc being active on the hunter, the newly refreshed Serpent Sting will drop its dependence on the AP-proc.

In other words, Chimera itself does not roll over AP-proc-induced damage in Serpent Sting like it does with %damage buffs (ala Tricks, Culling the Herd, and Exploit Weakness).

You know I consider myself an averagely ( not sure this is a word) intelligent person ( who can't spell) but I read this and am totally lost. If you are a fan of family guy imagine Chris starting to say something and then suddenly going Whaaaaaaaaaaaa. I was like "Oh that is wonderful information Inune whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?"

krysinello
Rook
Private

So in other words, Chimera shot acts as if you're applying the sting again, rather then refreshing it.

Now I'm wondering, is it the same for warlocks and corruption being refreshed?

Inune
Captured
Private

krysinello wrote:
So in other words, Chimera shot acts as if you're applying the sting again, rather then refreshing it.

Now I'm wondering, is it the same for warlocks and corruption being refreshed?

Only in the case of AP buffs (and presumably other stats like Agi). Paradoxically, when it concerns %crit or %damage buffs (Tricks, Culling the Herd, 2pc T10 proc, Wild Magic potion), Chimera acts as if it's just refreshing duration, not applying a new sting.

To the best of my knowledge, this paradox extends to corruption - %crit and %damage will be rolled with the refresh, SP buffs will not be.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
-Aristotle
Vojree Askiras

Inune, thanks for the info... curious who was right and wrong in that discussion. The results imo were predictable.

As for Tanzy's..... well.... let's be nice and say, lack of understanding... Inune, if you could please post what Chimera shot does for him, or if someone could as I'm just too damn lazy to do it myself... that way he MIGHT understand the purpose of the exercise.

While you're at it, explain the whole ap thing, the ap buffs thing, etc, etc, etc.... as a matter of fact... just tell him what 1 + 1 equals!

<3 ya Tanzy!!!!!!!

Jump to: