View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maedea
Maedea
Queen
Gunnery Sergeant

Awarded:

re: FPS and You

First off, this more on how to improve them without spending a lot of money. And I'm also gonna assume you play with a lot of your graphic settings turned down or off complete. If not, try that first. And don't forget the sound settings too! Your mileage may vary...

UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS!!
Seriously, go do it, like right now, I'll wait...

Change Videocard settings to increase FPS
If your card supports Anamorphic Filtering make sure this is NOT set to minimum as it will reduce graphics by a lot. You can set it as high as 16x but 8x is fine too.

Update your addons
Out of date addons increase lag! Graphical or otherwise. Also, don't use out of date addons, sometimes you can get away with it. But if it's been a couple of months since an update, you shouldn't use it.

Go Minimalistic
A simple clean UI or even the default one uses less resources than an over the top one. Consolidate your addons, chances are there is an addon that does what three of your addons do.

Ex. Running recount and Omen -> Get Skada it does both

Turn off DBM
If you haven't run a BC duegeon in forever, go to the addon screen and turn it off. Do that for every bit of content you just don't run any more. You can do this by character if you want. You should do this for every addon that has parts you just don't use.

Run Mediaplayer
I am dead serious, this works.
For some people running Windows Media Player before starting Wow will reduce loading times, see here for more info on why it works.

Dual core owners edit config for FPS increase
Add SET timingMethod "2" to the config.wtf file in your WTF folder, use Notepad to edit (I use Notepad++) and just add it to the end. This is supposed to have to do something with having a Dual core CPU so won't benefit people with single core most likely. You can also try out 1 (which should have the same effect as running WMP), the default is 0. You can try this out ingame by using: /console timingmethod 1 or /console timingmethod 2

Clean your Computer
Make sure you defrag your system weekly. Also clean your hard drive regularly. This will not only help you increase World of Warcraft's speed, but it will also help increase your computer's speed. Clean your keyboard while your at it, that thing is nasty... Clean the dust from your case too!

Background Programs
You may not think about it, but programs like internet explorer, firefox, itunes and anti-virus running while you play is killing your memory, turn these off before you enter the game. Something I like to do is go to the task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and I go down the list ending all the processes and keeping only; explorer.exe, system, system idle process, services.exe, svchost.exe, and whatever my audio device is.

Start Up Programs
Go to run and type in msconfig. The first window that comes up you can choose to run only necessary system programs at start up. Another option is going to the last tab “startup” and deselect the programs you know and this will prevent them from automatically starting by themselves.

Cap your framerate
If you cap your frame rate, you will see it at the number more often.
/console maxfps 30 (More than 30 is a waste)

Reformat
If all else fails, a simple reformat may be in order if you haven’t done so in a long time, our computers have a way of collecting internal “dust” which can really only be taken care of by a complete wipe.

Get rid of Vista!
Something in vista's code causes it to hog almost all of the CPU, which kills your frame rate. If nothing else worked, downgrade (more of an upgrade really) to XP or get Windows 7.

And if you do have some money to spend on upgrading your computer (Starcraft 2 is coming out soon), I recommend this site http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/.

Last edited by Maedea on 2010/07/13 23:11; edited 2 times in total

Disclaimer:
Tribute to Mortality does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, disconnect, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, power outage, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, trolling, sarcasm, singing or other Acts of Mig, ranting, raving, nerd rage, or other Acts of Jack. Or any Acts of Garothmuk. Neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized use, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, removal of tag, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom, crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB’s, paintball, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, computers,  Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc...).
Please only use as directed. Avoid contact with skin. Contents may settle during shipment. Tribute to Mortality is not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. Not recommended for children. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No other warranty expressed or implied.
This offer is void in Australia.
Common side effects may include:
Glassy eyes, carpel tunnel, divorce, dead leg, Tourette syndrome , dehydration, dizziness, headache, loss of appetite, nervousness, ringing in ears.

Less common or rare side effects may include:
Blurred vision, changes in heatbeat, chills, confusion, depression, dry eyes and mouth, emotional volatitity, hearing loss, high or low blood pressure, inability to sleep, sleepiness.

Tribute to Mortality isn't for everyone, please consult your doctor before use.
Mig.
Bishop
Corporal

:D I need none of these.
Draken_crovax
King
Corporal

thats also because you play on deep blue mig
krysinello
Rook
Private

yay for 8 gig of ram? Screw not being able to tab out to firefox and msn during breaks.

That media player thing is odd though, never thought that would work.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tribute to Mortality Forum Index -> Raids All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: