Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tribute to Mortality Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krad666
Rook
Private

re: I found this to be highly frustrating.

Last week I encountered something that set me into a fury the entire day.

I went to the dining hall with a couple of friends, all of Latino in ethnicity.

One of my friends whose both Vietnamese and Latino made a comment about when he went to the hospital he saw someone who was "blacker than me" ( Skin-tone wise) and was amazed by this.

I immediately went on to say that statement was false, simply because my skin is not black. It is brown. Yes my ethnicity is what you would call black but color wise I am truly brown and went on to say that on this basis of color of skin he and the majority of them there were not brown. They were a light shade of brown and what they refer to as blacks in America can be seen as being truly brown.

This is where it got interesting because all of them there are big on "brown pride" so i knew that what i had said was a direct insult to their beliefs and what they have been taught ( and to be fair the amount of racist things they say to me is appalling as among a bunch of minorities on campus, I'm a minority). I didn't say what i said in spite i just wanted to inform them of the error in what they said.

Immediately after another person went on to say " It's not their fault that the white man purposely taught [me] my colors wrong." Basically to discredit the truth that i had said, and draw attention away from it.

I've never been insulted by a racist remark before, but for some reason this brought out a shit ton of anger in a matter of seconds. I yelled in the middle of the dining hall " I'm leaving" although when i said it i hadn't registered it as rage just an intense feeling that wanted to explode out of me. I left without saying anything else.

Whats even more interesting is that a few days later when the same guy who made the initial statement about seeing someone blacker than me started saying something else racist another person said " Oh wait he's not black remember, he's brown" as a joke.

Essentially everything that i had said days prior, even the rage i exhibited, didn't make a difference at all.

I'm not the type of guy to hold a grudge. I'm very laid back but I'm starting to understand this behavior disgusts me though the more i learn ( I'm a psychology major) the more i understand how such things come about in people, and why it affects me as it does.

Jaktraw
Rook
Apprentice

I guess I'd have to be there but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me bro.

I mean, if someone told a white person "damn her skin is even whiter than yours" I wouldn't expect that person to get pissed off, since technically no one has truly "white" skin.

But as a (sort of) minority who grew up in the south, you gotta shrug this kinda stuff off, and sometimes reevaluate who you spend your time around. It's the 21st century, stuff like race, gender and religion are non-issues to me, it's time to grow up and move on as a human race.

Quote:
This is where it got interesting because all of them there are big on "brown pride"

See, that kinda stuff seems pointless to me. They should find pride in other stuff, like their careers, family, how they treat others; what's ethnicity got to do with anything?
Inune
Captured
Private

re: Re: I found this to be highly frustrating.

Krad666 wrote:
Immediately after another person went on to say " It's not their fault that the white man purposely taught [me] my colors wrong." Basically to discredit the truth that i had said, and draw attention away from it.

wait, am I reading this right? Because if so, what I would suggest is going to your local hardware store, pulling out paint chips of similar tone to your skin, and showing that yes, brown is in fact fucking brown.

Then beating these people in the face with said paint chips for being stupid.

Also, psychology is awesome.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
-Aristotle
LokaasLH
Bishop
Sergeant

Awarded:

re: Re: I found this to be highly frustrating.

Inune wrote:
Krad666 wrote:

wait, am I reading this right? Because if so, what I would suggest is going to your local hardware store, pulling out paint chips of similar tone to your skin, and showing that yes, brown is in fact fucking brown.

Then beating these people in the face with said paint chips for being stupid.

See, this is exactly the problem, whitey. Stop oppressing the masses with your truth twisting. Imperialist pig.

In all seriousness, this is one of the biggest things I hate about the human race. The racial rhetoric that STILL tries to convey the message that biological adaptations to environment that persist through many, many generations of descendants are markers for a different "race" of human. The last genetically different race of humans lost the competition for survival quite some time ago. Although people like Tanzy still resemble Homo Neanderthal, they are still actually part of our same specie.

Don't let the bastards get you down Krad.

- Social Distortion
Tanzy(ODH)
Bishop
Sergeant

Bite me Lokaas!

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tribute to Mortality Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum